-->




Sunday, September 25, 2011

DIY + D

So I've not blogged in a LONG time, but I have decided to return and have a little more fun with the blog. Instead of just putting up Quirky Finch stuff I am going to add more "life" stuff. So I am going to start with a step by step tutorial of my Sunday project! I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest. I didn't want to do plants because there would be no drainage for them and I already do not have a green thumb. I put a little twist on it and...  here is the finished product- wish I had a "good" camera! Promise it's super cute!

Here are the supplies- I got a 1x8x6 board cut in half at Lowe's (if you wink at them they will let you go in front of all of the men) You also need 6 clamps that will fit around the mason jars that you choose. They are in the plumbing section of Lowes. I also bought a paint sample because they are a lot cheaper than buying paint at a craft store. I got the 6 votives (Hazelnut mmmm....) from Wal-Mart. The gravel was free from our front porch.. don't tell my husband! All in all the cost for this project was about $20.
Then I took the wood and painted a coat. I watered it down so you could still see the texture of the wood under the paint. After that dried I sanded the edges so it would not look brand new.

 Next- It was time for the + D on my DIY project- the plus D would be my daddy :) YES my daddy! He came over to drill the holes into the clamps. He did a great job! After watching I can definitely do it myself next time... maybe it was a secret mission just to get my daddy to come see me..




Then you screw the clamps into the wood.. which I did!
Then it was the fun part- filling the mason jars with gravel and placing the votives inside them! It was a lot of effort to get them even. 




Ready to put it all together!


the end of the project.

I love the way it looks in our bedroom!


While I was waiting on the paint to dry I did another QUICK project... maybe 15 minutes :)
I traced an outline of the pot as I rolled it across paper. Then i pasted the fabric on with Mod Podge (craft essential). 
Finished fabric pot :) I plan to make various sizes in fall fabrics for mums!


No comments:

Post a Comment